Zimbabwe- Getting Around

Tips, the latest Info and Advice on 4x4 Rentals, Planes, Boats and Trains for getting around Zimbabwe by locals

great zimbabwe ruins
Great Zimbabwe Ruins - Masvingo Province - Zimbabwe

Transfers around Zimbabwe

Transfers to and from Victoria falls and Livingstone airports to your lodge are easy for us to arrange and usually costs lower than the standard taxi rates

Transfers from Victoria falls to Hwange, Chobe-Botswana, Livingstone-Zambia, Binga on Lake Kariba are again easy for us to arrange

Shuttle services are provided by most hotels away from the town centers so there is no need to hire a vehicle provide year round cost effective access to Zimbabwe's prime safari areas

Road Transfers Livingstone, Chobe, Victoria falls and west Zimbabwe

By Road ::: Zimbabwe Map

Zimbabwe has a good road infrastructure by African standards although pot holed. Traffic drives on the left

Car rental | vehicle hire: Available at airports and main hotels. Documentation: International Driving Permit or national licence (for up to 90 days); if not in English it must be accompanied by a certificate of authority or translation of text.
Car hire is available but expensive - best suited for exploring the east and south-east of the country.

Victoria Falls and Kariba are connected by a very poor dirt road - there are two alternatives, drive on the Zambian side (8 hours, potholed tar) or take the Kariba/Milibizi Kariba Ferry (22 hours along lake Kariba)

Road transfers between Livingstone, Chobe, Hwange and Binga are easy to arrange

e.g The roads are quiet, there are two tolls between Bulawayo and the Falls and several roadblocks

Proof of ownership of vehicle is essential. If the car is leased, obtain a clearance from the bank

Driving in Zimbabwe

International driving permits and valid driving licence's issued in Zambia, Malawi, South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Lesotho and Swaziland are valid in Zimbabwe. A visitor from any other country may, for 90 days or more (depending on the country of issue), use a valid driving licence, issued by the competent authority in that country. If not printed in English, it should have a printed certificate of authority and validity, or a transcription of the text with the bearer's photograph attached.

The general speed limit in Zimbabwe is 120 km/h on open roads and 60km/h in urban areas, but watch for signs

For self drive guests

When entering Zimbabwe by (hired) car a ‘temporary import permit’ will be issued at the border. A Carbon Tax is charged based on engine capacity

A Third Party insurance covering Zimbabwe needs to be obtained at the border if no valid COMESA yellow insurance card has been provided by the car hire firm.

Payment is accepted in other currencies than US$ as well but we recommend to carry US$ cash in small denominations

Police roadblocks

- Zimbabwe

Some advice about traffic police roadblocks in Zimbabwe
Police road blocks are common and should be clearly marked. Remain calm, always be polite, co-operate and follow instructions or requests. You may have your vehicle searched. Show your driver's licence if required. If you are in the wrong, accept it as being your fault and pay a fine. Note that THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A SPOT FINE WITHOUT A RECEIPT. Insist on an official receipt (i.e.Form Z69 (j) Admission of Guilt). If it is not convenient for you to pay the fine immediately, you should request a "ticket" on Form 265 for payment at a Police Station within 7 days. (Failure to do this will result in prosecution).

If you feel you are being treated unfairly, stand your ground, but don't be rude and whatever you do, do not swear! All Police Officers have a force number, which they should give you, on request. Do not be tempted to get out of a Traffic Offence by buying your way out of the problem. Keep your sense of humour - it often helps!

Note that if you are made to pay a fine at a traffic roadblock and are not sure how much you should have paid, you must immediately take the admission of guilt receipt to the nearest police station and get confirmation if you have been rightfully charged. If over-charged you can immediately get your money refunded.

Private Motor Vehicles

Motor vehicles, caravans and trailers may be brought temporarily into Zimbabwe, provided they are licensed in their home countries and bear appropriate registration plate and nationality plaque

Vehicles must be insured against third party risks arising in Zimbabwe, short-term policies are obtainable at border posts

Vehicles will not be considered roadworthy unless they are equipped with a fire extinguisher, warning triangles, a serviceable spare wheel and an efficient jack and a wheel spanner

Rules of the road

In Zimbabwe drive on the left hand side of the road and give way to traffic approaching on the road to your right at uncontrolled intersections.

At controlled intersections, motorists are required to yield to pedestrians crossing on a green light.

At all intersections, a fire engine, ambulance or police vehicle sounding a siren takes precedence over all other traffic; move out of its course

Harare to Kariba – Tarred all the way, toll gates present (2)

Mlibizi to Victoria Falls – Tarred all the way, some pot holed sections general condition is good

Mlibizi to Hwange – Tarred till Hwange park some pot holed sections general condition is good, dirt road in good condition.

Kariba to Mana Pools – Tarred till Mana Pools turn off, recommended 4x4 during the rainy season
From main road turn off, maintenance of dirt section limited

Southern Lake road via Binga/Deka/Karoi – Dirt road, corrugated but passable with 4x4, trickier in the rain season, advise getting updates on conditions before travel.

Southern Lake Road to Lake shore – Dirt roads, rugged 4x4 specially in the rain season, dry season still rugged but passable with time not recommend to travel with just one vehicle

Travel Guides
« Botswana
« Mozambique
« Namibia
« South Africa
« Zambia
« Zimbabwe

email icon Query or Quote

office hrs GMT+2