Houseboats Kariba Zimbabwe with prices
Compare Kariba Houseboatswith Specs Rates, Online Quote, Local Help and Photos
- Spreading over 5200 sq kms lake Kariba offers great opportunities for a relaxing 'get away from it all' holiday
- soak up the sun, enjoy sundowners and magical sunsets as well as fantastic fishing and game viewing .
- you can opt to rent a boat with catering or if you go the self catering route, there are supermarkets in Kariba town which stock a good range of basic provisions
- You can also go for a 2 night full Lake Cruise (Binga to Kariba) or take the Kariba Ferry with your vehicla
- Pontoon boats, looks basically like a floating house perched on top of two or three pontoons
- Cruiser hulled boats are generally faster, and carry fewer people
Tips, useful info and guides for Kariba houseboats
Africa’s last unspoilt river, the Zambezi, formed into a huge fresh water Lake at Kariba; and a wilderness of great beauty, many wild animals, birds and fish and few people Lake Kariba houseboats have been in use, year round since the creation of the lake in the late 1950's
The Zimbabwe town of Kariba is the hub as it's close to the Matusadona National Park Binga on the Victoria falls side of the lake has houseboats but not the density of animals The Zambian side has a number of boats including Southern Belle but has no National Park nearby
It is very hot in summer especially during September and October when it is better to hire a boat with air-conditioning or do what the locals do, sleep on the top deck under the stars. Most people enjoy the fresh air on the top deck for eating and sleeping
Winter is wonderful - April to August with warm days, clear skies and stars so close that you try to touch them. No need for air-conditioning. One perfect day is followed by another, but the fishing is not as good as in summer.
The harbour does not permit people to stay in the harbour overnight. This is a Lake Navigation ruling, and unless special arrangements have been made prior to your arrival, you will have to seek alternative accommodation if you arrive after 5pm.
Kariba is a malaria area and bilharzia is prevalent in the lake. It is advisable to take the necessary prophylactics as prescribed by your doctor. Swimming in the lake is definitely not advisable. Beware of ever-present crocodiles and hippos, which inhabit the lake
Tailor-made Itineraries for Kariba Houseboats - get real help from local people