Best Walking Safaris at Hwange Park
Regarded by many as the Finest Walking Safari on the African continent
A Walking Safari in Hwange National park with professional guides is a true opportunity to experience its diverse wildlife. The pace is a casual meander
Hints, tips and conditions
Slideshows HwangeHwange Park
Walking SafariHwange National Park
Maps of Hwange
Walking Safaris in Hwange
mobile Camping Safaris in Hwange
A mixture of walking safaris and game drives from inside Hwange park
On a Walking Safari you can expect to :
# be humbled as a bull elephant towers over you from just 30 metres
# track lion spoor or
# watch as the dung bettle expertly goes about its work
# listen for the buffalo herd approaching
# find out which plant is used to cure various ailments
# get better opportunities for filming and photography
A walking safari appeals to all the 5 senses and is a great and memorable "hands on" experience
* All Walking Safaris are led by fully licensed professional guides and carry firearms at all times.
* Zimbabwe has the highest standard of professional guide training in Africa
* Most Walking Safaris start in April and end end at the begining of Nov for the rainy season
Mammals that may be seen include Elephant, Buffalo, Lion, Leopard, White & Black Rhino, Painted Hunting Dog, Cheetah, Hyena, Giraffe, Sable, Roan, Kudu, Eland, Waterbuck, Wildebeest, Impala, Zebra, Baboon, Jackal, Bat-Eared Fox, Warthog and many other smaller species.
Tracking mammals and learning about them is an integral part of the walking safari. The walks are an enthralling and informative experience.
Night is for star gazing at some of the clearest skies in the world as well as tuning into the nocturnal world of predators.
A Typical Day for a Walking Safari in Hwange park
An early morning start with coffee or tea and early breakfast at first
Depart on a morning walk of about 5km - returning to camp late morning.
After lunch and if desired, guests can relax during the heat of the day.
Mid afternoon tea is follows by another 5km walk.
Distances covered depend entirely on the capacity of the party and the sightings of wildlife.
Return to camp for sundowners and pre dinner drinks around the campfire before dinner
1) The standard walking safari length is 4 days / 3 nights but can be made longer if requested
2) However we reserve the right to alter the itinerary should first hand
knowledge or otherwise that the game experience is likely to be better
at the alternative location of the park of the itinerary chosen, or
for any other valid reason.
3) There is no single supplement charge but a minimum of three guests is required to run a safari if booked by International/overseas clients and four guests if Regional.
4) The maximum number of guests is six, to ensure exclusivity.
5) Travelling times Victoria Falls to Hwange Main Camp is two hours on an all-tar road; and to Hwange town only one hour.
6) Walking Safaris are conducted 1st May – 30th November only, weather permitting.
7) Clients should be reasonably fit and have well worn in hiking shoes. A client that cannot walk on a walking safari will hamper the safari for the rest of the party.
8) This is an authentic wilderness experience, and clients should be made aware of factors like sleeping alone in tents, and the close encounters with animals that they are likely to face.
9) Each Walking Safari begins with a comprehensive demonstration on how to behave when encountering animals.
Everything is provided to ensure comfortable camping. Large walk in tents accommodate two people easily or single smaller tents for single guests. Mattresses, beds and full bedding, towels, chairs, tables, crockery, cutlery, glasses, drinking water etc are all supplied.
A flush toilet is erected at every campsite, and a bush bucket shower with hot water is also erected to ensure clients have a daily shower.
All food is prepared and served by the camp chef and camp assistant:
Breakfast: Full English or Continental Breakfast depending on the days activities, and fruit and cereals
Lunch: generally a cold buffet (cold meats, salads, quiches, cheese, pickles and fruit)
Dinner: Starter - Home made soup or hot or cold hors d'oeuvres.
Main Course - Varied casseroles, roasts, stews or barbecues.
Dessert - A variety of hot or cold desserts.
Lunch and dinner are accompanied by a variety of vegetables and green salads. Vegetarians are catered for on request.
Walking safari in Hwange park
Contact a Local for Tour Advice